And since we’re talking about action cameras in our last post, the Yi 4K+ remains our first choice for best value 4K action camera:
The action camera form factor has advantages and better ergonomics but the Samsung video quality turns out to be better than we expected.
It’s hard to tell from this two minute video how good the Nikon D850’s video quality really is. The lack of IBIS definitely requires more thoughtful and supportive movements. But compared to Nikon’s previous attempts at video this is obviously their best yet.
Nikon D850 Specifications:
Resolution: 45.7 megapixels of effective resolution. 45.4 MP files rich in detail. CMOS backlit sensor in full Nikon FX format and without low-pass optical filter.
- Speeds: 7 fps or 9 fps when using the optional MB-D18 multi-power battery pack (with the EN-EL18B battery inserted).
- ISO Sensitivity in Light: The powerful Nikon EXPEED 5 image processor delivers outstandingly sharp images in the ISO 64-25.600 range, expandable from 32 to 102.400 ISO (equivalent). The full ISO range is also available for 4K video shooting.
- Accuracy: The same phenomenal 153-point Autofocus system of the Nikon D5 top range provides sensitivity up to -4EV at the center point (ISO 100, 20 ° C). Exposure measurement up to -3EV allows precise exposure even under conditions where the only source of light is lunar.
- 4K video with no clipping factor: Record full-size movies at 4K / UHD at 30p, without clipping factor limitations. Snap for over three hours using the MB-D18 multi-power battery pack.
- Accelerated time-lapse movies in 4K directly “on the camera” but not only: in addition, the Nikon D850 uses its 45.7 megapixels to create fast and spectacular 8K post-production movies.
- RAW format flexibility: Snaps into 45.4 MP RAW format (large size), 25.6 MP (average size), or 11.4 MP (small size).
- In every room: thanks to its rugged body and ready to handle all weather conditions, the Nikon D850 is ready to resume in any kind of extreme environment. The same full-blinking light on the Nikon D5 guarantees ease of use even in the middle of the night.
- Quick Store: The two-card slot drive allows you to use a SD UHS-II and an XQD for quick file save.
The ‘good’ remains to be proven, but we have high hopes for this 4K action camera that will sell for around $100-120. This camera weighs only 99 grams and it has a 2.4 inch touch-screen. A Sony sensor is used and the rest of the hardware is respectable. This camera is said to have 6-axis stabilization but this appears to marketing hyperbole as all stabilization is electronic and not optical.
Like our last post was about a movie shot on the Panasonic GH4, this post shows what the Olympus EM-1 Mark II can do. They obviously had a higher production budget than most EM-1 Mark II videos. It goes to show you that camera you use is becoming less and less relevant.
While we prefer the G85’s image to that of the GH4, the GH4 was ahead of its time and produced an alright image. We look forward to seeing this film released: